Thursday, September 20, 2007

Race Lineups

Rowers:

With our first race just around the corner (September 29), I want to be clear how boatings will be made. We have two eights worth of freshmen athletes; therefore, I will refer to the boats as the freshmen eight and novice eight.

Neither eight is considered a priority, because I will be coaching both boats equally. And, it is my goal to bring out the potential strength and speed of every athlete in both crews.

The freshmen eight will be the faster of the two eights - freshmen races typically finish with times faster than novice races. I will set the boats based on three criteria:

- Improvement on the water;
- Improvement on the erg; and
- Attendance.

As freshmen athletes who are new to sweep rowing, it is less important for me to boat based on strength. I will look for rowers who are focused on learning the appropriate way to row and who are dedicated to our team goals. Don't hesitate to ask me at practice about your seat. Just don't ask me about somebody elses...we are a team.

No comments: