Monday, September 10, 2007

The Boat Race

The Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race

The idea for a rowing race between the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge came from two friends - Charles Merivale, a student at Cambridge, and his Harrow schoolfriend Charles Wordsworth (nephew of the poet William Wordsworth), who was at Oxford.

On 12 March 1829, Cambridge sent a challenge to Oxford and thus the tradition was born which has continued to the present day, where the loser of the previous year’s race challenges the opposition to a re-match.

On Race Day up to 250,000 spectators crowd the banks of the Thames from Putney to Mortlake to witness the action. Cambridge currently lead the series since 1829 by 79-73.

Part I


Part II

1 comment:

Papa Doc said...

Wow, I had never seen a race like this in my life. It is not a part of things where I live. How hard it would be to row that hard for so long! I am glad to have run onto your blog.

Jim Clark